Ill-informed Opinions from a Suburban Refugee & Pop Cultural Misfit

Friday, August 26, 2005

e-Flirts & This Donkeys' Swollen Sphincter Spectacular

I’m a good boy; I make trouble only on occasion and usually unprovoked. As mentioned previously though, I’ve been re-assigned during some work related disruptions so I’m not currently nestled in my comfort zone of corporate chaos. No, they’ve placed me on another floor, in spitting distance of a monkey man and his diaper dame (though not for long), trying to keep the wounded world afloat by plugging one asshole at a time. As is the case with most new environments there’s a period of growth and unease – a little uncertainty as to your role, your place, and your face – so when I came into contact with a girl I knew over 8 years ago - I was a little relieved. We didn’t have shorthand anymore but she was a friendly face that I could count on for some comfort if things went south. We were passing e-mails back and forth and everything seemed to be going quite well, I had a new person to berate with my nonsense, she had a new person to kill softly with second hand smoke and then it all fell off the rails.

E-flirts have always been a fairly innocent way to enhance ones relationship with someone without the awkward baby steps of a face to face meeting. You can casually throw volleys of small talk about the place, pepper them with Cannibal Brand Humor and before you know it you’ve made another well seasoned friend. From time to time this recipe backfires though and you’re left with either a Dejected Dame or a Misled Madame – one wonders which is worse. There are a few of the ladies down here that for whatever reason see me as cheap Outlook entertainment, it’s nice to be e-popular but some of the e-mails started to e-dangle the carrot a little too close to the e-hole – it was time to work The Wife into the conversation.

Monogamous guys often have a hard time dropping the W into a conversation, if misconstrued the W can be like dynamite in a donkey’s rectum – all you’re left with is a blown asshole. She could tell you that “you must be joking, I would never be interested in you” or “that’s being a little presumptuous isn’t it?” Your cover is blown, she knows that you think she wants you… and she doesn’t… now where’s that dynamite?

“Wanna join me outside for a cigarette?”

“I dunno, I’ll call the wife and ask if it’s OK.”

That’ll never work (this is the SAGA approach - nice job, freak!). After a few days of casual e-flirts, the gal I knew so very long ago finally drops the “Boyfriend” into a conversation, I can relax – our casual relationship continues and all is groovy. I tell her that it’s good to have her back in my life – things are working out! But then I get this sinking feeling… can’t place it… unsure if it’s gas or something I haven… she thinks I want HER! I stumble a little. Was it a trick? Ladies are sophisticates these days, they’re not the credulous creatures they were when we were fresh in the game, she knows the score and I have no idea where the scoreboard is whatsoever. I regain balance and search her eyes for that “oh, you poor man” look – it never appears. We carry on as normal now, safe in the knowledge that she’ll never know that I thought she wanted me.

iPod played "The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??" while posting

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It doesn't have to mean the other person thinks you want them. I generally think of it as a relationship condom. Better safe than sorry.

7:36 AM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

"Relationship condom"... that's genius!

8:05 AM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

---- UPDATE ----
Plot Twist: today I got the “I’m so mad at my boyfriend” conversation (from two different people!?). Eight Year Dame told me that “I think he’s seeing someone on the side, I found something on his dresser and he totally freaked out on me when I asked him about it” – was she just looking for a reaction? Now, I’m confused – I administer friendly/platonic advice. She admits that she had an “unrequited crush” on me all those years ago. She’s forced my hand - I drop The Wife into the mix like an atom bomb on an ant hill. She tells me that she thinks it’s OK for her to still have a crush on me because she “considers it harmless” and “will never act on it”. Flattered and ultimately comfortable with her decision/admission, we make plans to grab lunch. Is this like fanning flames with an oily rag? I have lots of female friends but is she someone I should sacrifice to the goddess of the greater good? Maybe I should pull the plug on this puppy. I’ve told The Wife of the situation, her unease has made my decision for me - I eat lunch without her.

8:18 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Probably for the best. What if she just wanted to lull you into a false sense of security before making her move?

Although, with a little planning you probably could have used it to watch a cat fight...

11:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or...perhaps this is some part of their overall design; perhaps your wife HIRED her to come on to you so that she would have something to hold over your head, and at just the right time use that information to force your hand into some plan regarding disabling phone service at a critical time, so that some evil empire could assassinate a brilliant scientist who was about to turn the oil industry on its ear.

...Or maybe I should stop watching so many episodes of 24.

3:59 PM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Dude,

we are unable of making these kinds of decisions. It's always a good idea to ask your lady friend.

Baby, can I get a hummer from a girl at work?


I don't think that's a good idea... why don't you have juice box instead.

For long term relationships... pick the juice box.

6:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely said Dark Pig! I can hear the 50's music playing in the background and she calmly looks up from her needle point.

6:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home