Ill-informed Opinions from a Suburban Refugee & Pop Cultural Misfit

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Kicked in the Taco & a Side of Sour Cream Dreams

I apologize profusely for the lack of regular urban updates this past week (it’s nice to know you care) but I think that John Lennon put it best when he sang that “life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans” or if you prefer Frank Black; “I got kicked in the taco”. Recurring readers will know that I am shuffling off to the bustling burbs within the coming weeks, but what even my most supportive of pals don’t know until now is that I will be making this move without the wife.

You must first understand that we were never married to begin with (so cast your dispersions elsewhere) and that “wife” was a nickname that I bestowed upon her back when intention dictated that we would one day wind up chapel side one sunny afternoon. I have spent 1/6 of my entire life with this one woman and this is staggeringly hard to handle as it is without having to hand over a deadly divorce or go tooth and nail with my best friend for who gets the tea pot. With all sincerity, this has been a long time coming but it doesn’t make it any easier on the soul. It’s not that we didn’t go to task as a team, but we realized that we may be dying as individuals as a result and therein lays the root of our separation. As a unit we pursued happiness at the expense of our own wants, dreams and ultimately our life together. I’m just thankful that we are both adult enough to identify where our white picket fence turned to barbwire before it cut us both deeper than it already has.

We’re still friends (the best of, as cliché as that sounds) - we still share the same roof and as we pack up our lives for each others ultimate move – me to the outskirts and hers to the other side of the country – we collect the icons of our life together like archeologists cataloguing the remnants from some lost civilization unearthed many moons later. Relics from another time - artifacts detailing our existence, whereabouts and headspace – they collect darkness in the bottom of a box instead of on display in some marital misfortune museum. We share a laugh as we uncover yellowing movie tickets, restaurant receipts and photographs – our legacy.

Next steps are as new to us as first ones from an infant but just as rehearsed as those from a ballerina, I guess the real question is where do we go from here? The nails in the coffin are closer to the corpse than ever, the death knell has sung its song to the wild winds and we’ll continue our lives apart but ever closer for having been here together – no matter where we drift from this point on.

We're sorry to those who've invested so much in us and hope that you don't feel that it was all in vain. Don't look at us as a failure, we sure don't, just trust that we'll make it all up to you one day as individuals and accept our gratitude.

iPod played “Spoon - Everything Hits at Once” while posting

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck seems insufficient, but since I don't know you, its all I can really offer.

So good luck.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Call me when you get the chance dude.

Let me know if you need anything.

7:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lemme know if you need anything. (Not that I'll be able to do anything about it, but hey...at least I'll know)

11:04 AM

 
Blogger Serena said...

There are several sure-fire ways Serena knows to make my UC feel better, but suburban Canada is, alas, too far away.


drop by.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Serena + UC sittin' in a tree

6:07 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Thanks for all of your support and know that the two of us will get through this.

Pig, you know that this has been gestating for quite some time and I guess after all these years I’m still the same cannibal I always was (you were right and I was wrong – better?). Another night of Australian Rum might be in order if you have any left, I may have left a chapter off the end of this sorrowed tale and only the syrupy stuff will make me spill it. Sorry I haven’t called, but trust that I’ll be the same ol’ Charlie after all is said and done (for better of worse). Just give me a few more days to marinate.

Serena, as always you flatter me with your wild words and though I’m often unsure if I deserve your attention, it’s nice to know that you’re out there somewhere. Trust that from what you’ve read over the past few months you have a fairly good idea who you’ve been dealing with so I’m most privileged to have you in my corner. The Pig and I went for some pints a few months back and we couldn’t get over how clever, bold and eloquent you are. We were both stunned that there was another misfit out there who could not only make us laugh but coax us into raising our game in the process. We had to pull up our virtual socks to keep you reading us. We get so many of our readers directed from your site that you pretty much single handedly keep us afloat with fresh eyes. I appreciate that as a “writer”, creative creature and friend. Here’s one for you Dollface; “I’m sorry, did you just say “meow”?”

SAGA, I know you’re out there but are too shy to post on such a topic for fear of backlash. Thanks for calling me the other day and please don’t take it personally that I didn’t call you to tell you first hand (Matt’s rectum will taste my boot for spilling – but I appreciate his concern as well). I’m really fortunate to have a buddy like you and if you join us for a pint this Friday, your drinks are on me. Say Hi to your son for me and know that I think of him more as a godson than I do my real godson.

KITE, you went through this yourself not so long ago back when we first met, my friend. I’ll draw what strength I can from you – aw, who am I kidding you drank Absinthe so a solid month! Jokes aside, thanks for your support and know that I will most certainly honor your next invite to wing night.

Skaaank, your support has been second to none throughout all of this and you’ve probably seen me meltdown more than anyone. It’ll all come together for team RamRod. Chin up.

Finally, to all of you who stopped by my site to have a laugh and got knuckle sacked by seriousness, I’m sorry. This blog was never intended to be a place to air out the stink of personal demons but trust that the fun will return. If I’ve at all betrayed you as a reader consider my apology and believe I’ll be in fighting form again very soon.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

We're on dude. I'll leave it for you to call or e-mail me -- I'm open Firday, Saturday and Sunday evening.

1:01 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

"Firday" won't work I'm heading out with SAGA and the boys - but you can join us after work if you want. If not, Saturday sounds like a good fit. We'll get Rum Dumb.

2:04 PM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Let's say Saturday... there's only a little left but I've hear there are other drinks in this big big world.

What time's good for you -- or will ya' call me Saturday afternoon?

6:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UC, This is one such knuckle sacked reader. This is the first time I've visited your blog, it came highly recommeded by spankey and pig. I came for a pick-me-up laugh but instead was met with something more benificial: call it a kind of twisted kinship. I know that sounds disturbed. You see it's odd that I found your page the day before my wife was moving out. Judging from this entry, I'm very much in the same position you are right now and reading it compelled me to let you know that there's at least one other guy out there who knows what you're going through. Starting over is bloody tough, but when you know it's the right thing to do, you know. I sincerely wish you the best.
Before I go though, you must know (if I may touch on your final comment) that your true friends will never feel like their investment in you was in vain. Ever.
Best of luck UC.

6:08 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

You too Wolf, there's a whole world out there you lucky dog, don't perch on the porch step for too long friend, there are plenty of hydrants to soak.

8:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home