Ill-informed Opinions from a Suburban Refugee & Pop Cultural Misfit

Saturday, September 03, 2005

New Orleans Sinking & I Don't Wanna Swim (in nothing but Tequila)

I swore I’d never use this ramble roach to air out my lungs but this morning I came in to yet another midnight rambling e-mail from the notorious SAGA:

“After reviewing information from CNN on the Hurricane (Katrina) I needed a pick-me-up! I am not sure how a person mentally survives coming home to a "non-home”. As a single person that is one thing but, as a family man I really do not know. The conclusion that I have come to? I need to know what I would do in the event of an emergency....and along that train of thought I have realized that I do NOT have enough Tequila in the house if something truly mangling happens.
When the BAD happens, Tequila...Tequila really good!”

My cousin Vicki and her three infant cannibals live(d) in New Orleans, she got out after waiting in 12 hours of traffic or something like that – I visualize something out of Stephen King’s “The Stand” – an entire metropolis trying to flee by any available artery. Vic made it to Houston Texas, only possessions being two days of clothes, the kids, the car and one hysterical cousin (no word on how much Tequila she has on board). I’m not making light of what has happened, in fact I’m thinking that all the old plantation architecture, haunted graveyards and tangible history of places like the French Quarter and Bourbon Street may have potentially been wiped out forever – it’s eternally heartbreaking (human toll aside) to perceive the modern day Atlantis. The large hairy bastard known as KITE is actually a spectacular photographer (that's one of his pics right there - he’s a cheery ol' bloke who likes to be called by his demon name – Je_ _ery – HAHA! Aye kill ewe!), his favorite subject – graveyard statues (and probably kittens frolicking in freshly cut grass – softy). Just a few months back we spoke of how astonishing a trip to New Orleans would be from a spectral photography perspective. I would’ve gone for the free flashing breasts and beads - the ghostly grasp and voodoo vernacular would be a bountiful bonus. Now all that is in question, it saddens me when history becomes just that.

Officials are saying 80% of the city is underwater and that New Orleans may never be rebuilt, with how some of those people are acting down there, one wonders if it should be. Rampant looting, martial law and armed gangs taking over the downtown core - it makes you sad to be a human being. When the bodies of your friends are floating down the street you can’t deny that Mother Nature is a sexy bitch with a temper but it’s distressing to think of how many are taking advantage of what’s going on. Surely they should all find a high spot to sit, crack open a case of Tequila and meditate on how very much rots beneath that water.

Do you think that the Tragically Hip will stop performing "New Orleans is Sinking"?

Photo used with permission, courtesy of The NoFunClub
iPod played "Tragically Hip - New Orleans is Sinking" while posting

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Permalink
Mickey Kaus: Biden's Goat, Gotten. Still unpresidential after all these years. 09/02/05 Timothy Noah: On not owning a vacation home.
louis vuitton purse Terrific Gifts for Spring and Summer. Many Styles! Shop from our VAST COLLECTION of Handbags today! louis vuitton purse

1:30 PM

 
Blogger Serena said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:38 PM

 
Blogger Serena said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:44 PM

 
Blogger Serena said...

sorry, UC. Just couldn't stomach leaving either of those two posts up. It is too early.

*unsuccessfully searches through Louis Vuitton handbag for tact*

1:50 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Serena - It's OK Dollface, we're all open minded meat eaters here, what's on your mind? Welcome back.

Hey Dickface, thanks for spamming my post, maybe you can take those Louis Vuitton bags of yours and collect the dead with them, arsehole.

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Serena said...

I think Dark Pig's recent spammer wins the "Most Ironic" award.

3:31 PM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Hey,

your blog kicks ass for the lord. Maybe you'd like to come visit my site which also kicks ass for the lord.

http://www.jwconnections.com/

3:54 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Hi, I just stopped by your blog after and evening of seal clubbing, I love it! Maybe you'd like my site www.jwconnections.com it makes my panties soggy!

6:26 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Ummm...is it looting if you have been waiting five days for food and water and none seems to be coming?

8:42 AM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Meg, I meant TV's and stuff like that

11:56 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah...sorry. Been arguing with someone for 2 days about the other.

Plus, I'm sad. The spot where I got married is supposedly gone.

2:35 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

At least the marriage hasn't been washed out

5:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home