Ill-informed Opinions from a Suburban Refugee & Pop Cultural Misfit

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Parents Just Don’t Understand – On the Ropes Without an Adrian

I guess the long and short of it is that all any parent really wants is to have their children be happy, unless of course you’re my parents of late, in which case you second guess child at every turn and assume that Mr. Halfwit is at the helm of a head without direction. Frequent flyers to this meandering mess will know that the “wife” and I have decided to head our separate ways but what you don’t know is that I not only have to hold it together with the “wife” but I’ve found myself trying to pacify my own fucking parents at a time when I should be the one soother sucking.

My Mom has hated every single girl (save two) that I ever brought to the cannibal cave to meat her (or was forced to introduce to through some awkward event). In my teens, Dad called every single one of them “Jenn” because every second or third one of them through the testosterone turnstile was named as such – or so it seemed (one even adopted the name to deflect embarrassment for an entire weekend). Show up at the house with one too many hickeys or badge of honor back scratches in a fortnight and the folks would probably have a fairly skewed opinion of the lass long before they’d even met the poor princess - much less give her a chance to prove them otherwise.

In stark contrast to this pretty picture was the “wife” who not only won my parents over but now that we’re on the ropes (or in the dressing room by now) they seem to still be in her corner. We’ve most certainly taken an emotional beating but for whatever reason the favor of the crowd seems to be with her and that no matter how many bruises I’m nursing, I’m left to fight this on my own (friends aside of course) with gloves of gravy skin. Where’s Burgess Meredith when you need him? Yo, Adrian! I’m black & blue with a breakup and parental back lashings without even buying a bloody ring - imagine if we had gone the full four rounds (Marriage, Kids, Dog, and Death).

I can appreciate why mother would have concerns over our conclusion but that’s no reason to pour derision over said decision when it’s our lives we’re trying to salvage and not hers. Sure, one less seat at the Thanksgiving table will stand out like a grain of salt in a pepper shaker but isn’t our happiness more important than seasoning? As for my Dad, he’s still on my side but I get the feeling he’d be more comfortable in the middle (say Hi to Malcolm for me). They believe that this is all my fault, and to some extent it is, but if what I’m guilty of is questioning my happiness shouldn’t that be enough to win their favor?

I do believe that is the first time I’ve used the big "F" word in a blog. Those that know me will find this most amusing, for the rest of you keeping score that's 22, 308 - 1.

Will Smith was right. Who knew?

iPod played "Survivor - Eye of the Tiger" while posting

12 Comments:

Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Save some of that for the sequel, this is not a comment free zone, lazy buggers.

1:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Parents are never happy.

My mom hated my husband when he was just the boyfriend, and they had some lovely fights at the dinner table. And she still wants me to get back together with the guy I dated in junior high, who she loved.

You're not alone. You're doing what's right for you (& if I don't misunderstand, so is the "wife"). Can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

3:59 PM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Megan,

I'm so validated by your comment. I have been pleasing myself for some time.

5:22 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Thanks yet again for your insight Meg, and please accept my apologies on behalf of my piggly pal & his masturbatory emissions (or is that admissions?). Either way, the folks claim that they just want to make sure that I’m taken care of, what they obviously forget is that I always looked after HER and not the other way around.

Retraction:
A few posts back I made reference to a potential fight breaking out over who will take the tea pot, well my assumption was incorrect. The fight broke out over the $150.00 Wine bottle opener that my parents gave “us”. I guess it’s back to the manual corkscrew for me.

(Yeah, I was just as shocked that you could buy such a thing so don't give me any grief, buggers)

6:17 AM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Dude,

You don't drink wine...

Pick your battles.

9:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The introspection of a relationship, past or present, is dangerous for all parties involved.

11:30 AM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Now Saga's gay

7:35 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Totally gay

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Serena said...

The first (only) time I went to Philly, I ran up those stairs-- leg warmers and all. No random pack of kids following me, though.
Mom's not on her side, but yours-- she just doesn't have any hope for your future prospects ;) And that makes her worry (but you already know that).

6:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee....You oedipal freaks.

10:05 AM

 
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Saga's still queer?

12:59 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Well he did use "butterfly" in an aggressive manner

9:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home