Ill-informed Opinions from a Suburban Refugee & Pop Cultural Misfit

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Fear & Loathing in Darth Vator – The Red Boot Diaries

Nothing gets under my skin like a territorial bubble invasion by some socially inept stranger.

I was on the main floor of the octagonal office tower in which I am dutifully employed; casually approaching the bank of six elevators that service the center of the building, I draw ever closer to the call button and prepare to extend my index finger. Up until this point all was going according to plan, I was alone in the hall and thought to myself that the long ride to floor 27 would be a quiet one – a time of reflection (or to check my reflection). My peripheral vision detects the presence of another person rounding the corner; I am currently unprepared to share an elevator with this person, ever more so after I collect his image in full. My head turns to offer a polite nod or insincere but cleverly cloaked good morning smirk, it is a man… wearing cherry red cowboy boots. Excuse me? Is there a rodeo room on one of these floors? My brow furrows a bit but I accept that I will share a few moments of my life with this man within close proximity. I ready my psychic defenses and press the button.

Once in awhile the elevator gods take pity on me, this was one of those times, for shortly after the button lit up to reaffirm that I had called the unit - three main floor elevators chimed out their arrival and welcomed us both. My mouth fell open a little and I gave thanks that this corporate cowboy and I would soon be parting ways, perhaps never to intersect again, I was pleased with this little piece of peppermint providence. I made my way towards the farthest open door which would surely guarantee that Buffalo Bill would chart a course to the unit closest to him. I entered my car and pressed (27), another little light, I like little lights; I always think that this one depressed key is that which destroys the Death Star with a welcome glow – Darth (ele)Vator as it were. I wait for the door to close. DING. Here we go; the doors begin to come together. I gently bring my coffee up to my lips for a sip when I am startled by a pair of hands reaching in at me from beyond the door panels. Safety censored elevator doors slide back open, parting like the boot red sea only to reveal Moses’ redneck cousin was behind it all. Two other perfectly approachable elevators and this Calvin Klein cowpoke choo-choo-chooses to invade my little life, forcibly fumble his way into the tiny space with me and boil my blood to bacon fat. I choke a little on my coffee and retreat to the back corner.

Elevator etiquette would dictate that when two parties are in the same unit, they should move to the back of the vator and select a corner to occupy, I guess that manual hasn’t yet made its way out to the barnyard because this fellow decides to stand right beside me. I squirm into the corner a little deeper. The doors close and the car begins its ascent, the cowboy hasn’t yet selected a floor to infect and I know he wouldn’t be allowed anywhere near my floor so I throw him a bone;

“Uh, sir? What floor would you like?” even offering to press the button for him.

He doesn’t say a word, he just reaches past me to press the floor button himself and since I had already destroyed the Death Star I have no idea what fantasy button he pressed. It looks like I’ll be making an unscheduled stop on floor 20... I always thought it smelled a bit gamey on that floor. So there we were, one cannibal and one uncultured cowboy sharing an elevator, its’ got the makings of a fantastic joke but somewhere between the ground and 2x10 floors up the punch line was lost on me. I stare at the numbers counting away on the panel above us as an eternity unfolds between micro-seconds. His stop approaches, my pulse quickens trying to work the bacon fat out of my arteries, he moves from my side to practically insert his nose where the doors meet. Three or four floors to go, I am getting anxious. Place coffee to mouth. Keep my cool kitten, you’ll be fine.

DING!

His cherry red boots carry the messiah of the mundane out of the elevator and away from my life. My shoulders ease down, breathing returns to normal and my trip continues incident free. I inhale the unshared air and curse the elevator gods for fucking with me again.

iPod played “Planet Smashers – Pee in the Elevator” while posting

7 Comments:

Blogger Girl said...

it must have been the person who sat next to me at the movies.....in a completely empty theater save me!?!?!

why, why, why must you do this? i don't need you and if you need me? go find someone else to befriend.

2:25 AM

 
Blogger Serena said...

JAG, is that not the most unsettling thing: a completely empty theatre and one guy choses to sit in the seat right next to mine? *shudder*

UC, your talent for aliteration and word play never cease to amaze me.

7:10 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

At least he did not follow you into the otherwise empty bathroom and choose the
stall right next to yours. I always end up in the restroom with those girls. Then they want to talk. TALK! In the bathroom! No thank you.

7:19 AM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Meg, I see your bathroom tale and I raise you one urinal cake. In most men’s washrooms there are at least three urinals and two stalls by which you can make your deposit. Etiquette would suggest that if you are alone in the washroom you use one of the urinals on the side, never the one in the middle. If another party enters the washroom – they should proceed to the urinal on the other end, again leaving the center unit as a buffer. If a third party enters the fray, that person should proceed to the farthest stall and so forth. Guys like this snuggle up next to you and use the center urinal no matter how many people are in the can – nothing is worse than having one of said people check out your exposed trouser tadpole while doing the business let alone invade a private moment between you and the little man.

S, theater woes are indeed infuriating, especially for a guy like me who likes to have at least a two seat perimeter around me in all directions (save for my company). I give off a fairly strong “shit eye” vibe when in a theater so I’m usually safe from having my territorial bubble burst by some popcorn chomping social neophyte but when it does happen I tend to make a bit of a stink (mouth falls out of gear). In a packed house when there’s no escape I’m usually fairly forgiving (read: no choice). The Dark Pig is a magnet for seat kickers though, whenever we go to a flick he always has some jackass sit behind him who kicks the back of his chair, it’s hysterical. He rears up on his hoofs, his tail straightens and he snorts a bit. It never fails.

JAG, If the bastard was wearing red boots you can be assured that it was this very creature, the very same beast who sits next to you on bus/train/bench you name it (perhaps it’s a new race bred to ensure population control). As for befriending fiends, I’m unsure what’s worse, when they completely ignore you or when they try and be your best buddy? You know the type; last week I had some woman ask me so unusually forward questions that it made me so uncomfortable; it put me off my “game” for half the afternoon. I walked away from her feeling so filthy, like I had been inquisitively raped or something.

10:02 AM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

S, thanks for the compliment BTW, truly appreciated :)

10:03 AM

 
Blogger Tyne said...

elevators really present some opportune times for people to freak other people out. seeeriously. glad i wasn't the one dealing with red. take the stairs!! = )

10:55 PM

 
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

State of Lead, STAIRS? If I sauntered up 27 flights of stairs I would be nothing but a bearded puddle with a vocabulary.

3:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home